Preparing for a 1-on-1
To create a new 1-on-1, head to the 1-on-1 home page and fill out the following information
- Facilitator: The participant who is guiding the conversation. Facilitators are usually the manager who will provide coaching for the Team Member.
Team member: The participant who is the focus of the 1-on-1. Team members are usually the employee being coached by their manager. Their objectives, recognitions and feedback will be viewable in the 1-on-1.
- Start without a template: for one off conversations; add questions as needed
- Choose a template: choose from your own templates, global pre-made templates, or templates made by your manager. If you’re a manager, you can create your own templates for your team to use.
Schedule your 1-on-1 conversation. This is when you have a face to face (or remote) meeting with the other participant. Make sure to give yourself time to prep your notes for that meeting. You can leave the date blank if you want to schedule it later.
Toggle this on if you’d like to automatically schedule future 1-on-1s with the same person and template. You can then choose the date and frequency of the meetings.
If you use Google calendar, you can preview the calendars for both participants so that you can pick the best time for your meeting.
When you schedule your 1-on-1 you will be brought to the Agenda Builder where you can begin to prepare for your meeting by entering in notes for your conversation.
Verify the settings for your 1-on-1:
Who can read 1-on-1 content?
Conversations between 1-on-1 participants may be visible to other people in 7Geese. The only users who may have the ability to see your note are direct managers, managers above you in the management tree (e.g. your manager's manager and so on) and admins with content visibility. If you used a template, the visibility settings will auto-populate. Depending on the template settings, you may or may not change them for your 1-on-1 (they will be grey if you can't change them). If you hover over each visibility option (e.g. Direct managers) you will see who in the organization occupies those roles so that you know exactly who will have visibility into your 1-on-1.
You can use the reschedule link to change your meeting date to another day. This will update this in your calendar as well. If you have enabled the Google or Outlook 365 integration, you can reschedule your 1-on-1 directly in your calendar and have it updated in 7Geese.
If you are rescheduling a recurring 1-on-1 you can choose whether to reschedule just one instance of your 1-on-1 or all 1-on-1s moving forward.
Notes visibility toggle:
This toggle controls whether or not your notes are visible to the other participant. By default your notes will automatically be shared with the other participant so that they have all the information before the 1-on-1. If you toggle your notes off, they will not be shared ahead of the meeting giving you time to craft your message just the way you want before they see it. Make sure that you share your notes with enough time ahead of your scheduled meeting so that the other participant will have time to read it.
Your 1-on-1 cannot be finalized or marked as complete until both parties' notes have been shared.
Fill out your notes and answers for the meeting ahead of time. The other participant will be able to see them before the meeting unless you toggle your notes visibility off. Your notes will automatically be saved.
You can also view the other participant’s notes if they've chosen to share it with you ahead of time.
Action Items (still in early access!)
- 1-on-1 participants can track Action Items during their 1-on-1 conversation, so that it is clear who is accountable for key tasks.
- 1-on-1 participants can check off tasks they have completed, and discuss those completed tasks during their next 1-on-1. This allows for better visibility into work that has been completed in between 1-on-1 conversations.
In 1-on-1 meeting mode, there is a right-hand panel called Action Items.
- Create action item titles
- Assign a due date
- Assign an assignee to the action item (either yourself or the other person in the 1-on-1)
- Delete an action item
- Mark an action item as complete
- See a list of completed action items (up to the last 30)
- All Action items are linked to participants of the 1-on-1 - we only show action items related to the two people involved.
- Action items cannot be created outside of a 1-on-1, only during it and only by the two participants in the 1-on-1.
- Action items cannot be assigned to people outside of the 1-on-1
- To view all action items related to you and another person, you must click in to a scheduled 1-on-1 with that person. We will be working on building a view to show you all your Action Items related to all 1-on-1s, at a future date.
- No emails are sent to users when Action Items are created, assigned due dates or assignees. We will be adding email notifications at a future date once we understand more about what email notifications users want to receive and at what frequency
Private notes in 7Geese
Accessible from the profile page and 1-on-1 agenda builder, private notes let you store confidential for-you-only notes about your teammates.
To get started, on the profile page of your teammate there's a button to access private notes on the top right. When there's notes inside the scratchpad, it'll highlight in blue (as seen below).
Inside of the scratchpad, there's an added level of privacy where to activate you have to hover over to see your notes. This avoids any potential accidental peaks at your notes that were unintended.
Here's a few of our favourite use cases as you get started:
- Keep follow-up or prep notes to have with your team during 1-on-1s
- Add coaching comments and reminders to discuss
- You've learnt something interesting about them and want to remember
Private notes are only accessible to the user adding them, no admins or other teammates can access them at any time without your consent.
Context Sidebar - view Objectives, Recognitions and Feedback
During the 1-on-1 preparation or meeting, you can view the other participant's Objectives, Recognitions and Feedback. This gives your more performance insight to discuss during your 1-on-1.
Finalizing your 1-on-1
When your 1-on-1 is complete you can finalize it so that it records your conversation for future reference. Depending on the template settings, it may only be the facilitator who can finalize it.
Creating 1-on-1 Templates in 7Geese
This walkthrough will take you through how to create customized templates for your teams for 1-on-1s. 7Geese comes pre-loaded with templates to help you get started. You can edit these pre-existing templates or create new ones.
To get started head over to 1-on-1s.
Adding or editing a template
Below 1-on-1 settings there is a 1-on-1 Template Section where you can add or edit an existing template.
1. New Template: This is where you can create a new template from scratch.
2. My Templates: Templates you create for your teams will live here. Your templates will be visible to you, anyone that is up your reporting tree (i.e. your manager and their managers), and your direct reports.
2. Global Templates: Templates that you create for the entire organization will live here. This means that all users in your 7Geese network will be able to select these templates when they have 1-on-1s. Only admins can create Global Templates. To create a Global Template, make sure to check "This is a global template".
To preview the questions in the templates, click on the title. You can edit them by selecting "Edit Template" in the Actions menu to the right of the questions.
Adding Questions and Details
When creating a new template you will have options to add questions and descriptions for these questions to provide context or anything you think is important for an individual to know.
For each question in the example below, an accompanying descriptor is given to provide more information for the individual participating in the 1-on-1. They're used to help initiate thought encase someone is stuck for where to start.
When conducting a 1-on-1 this is how the questions and accompanying descriptors will appear:
Google & Outlook Calendar integrations for 1-on-1s
We offer integrations with Google Calendar and Outlook Calendar for 1-on-1s, to allow for two-way sync between 7Geese 1-on-1s scheduling and your work calendar. For more information on how Admins can set these up, check out the full Integration support articles here:
Google calendar integration: https://support.7geese.com/hc/en-us/articles/206301887#google-calendar-for-1on1s
Outlook (Office 365) calendar integration: https://support.7geese.com/hc/en-us/articles/206301887#outlook-office-365-calendar-for-1on1s
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further questions or if you believe something is missing, misrepresented, or outdated.